Saturday 9 January 2016

Twelve Things to Remember

As with every new year, I look for ways to try and get the year off on the right foot. How can we improve the quality of what we do? How can we enhance our customer care? How can I  lick my own elbow?

Trying to take inspiration from the private sector I came across a chap called Marshall Field. He was an American entrepreneur who established a range of department stores in the second half of the Nineteenth Century. He became a big success by actually thinking about the customer. He was the man who made unconditional refunds and consistent pricing the norm in retail. In fact the cliché, 'the customer is always right' is attributed to him. The actual phrase he used was,
"Assume that the customer is right until it is plain beyond all question he is not."
A slightly more conditional phrase, but still spot on in terms of customer relations common sense.

Anyway I came across him as the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago is named after him when he helped fund the establishment of the museum. As an aside it is alleged an employee defrauded the museum of nearly $1m. a couple of years ago - if only my museum was rich enough  to enable me to do that. Stealing the days takings from my museum would probably not even cover my round in the pub, I usually end up topping up the till from loose change I find down the back of the sofa. I digress...

However Marshall Field apparently had a mantra of twelve things to remember.


  • The value of time
  • The success of perseverance
  • The pleasure of working
  • The dignity of simplicity
  • The worth of character
  • The power of kindness
  • The influence of example
  • The obligation of duty
  • The wisdom of economy
  • The virtue of patience
  • The improvement of talent
  • The joy of origination


Let's see if it works.

If you follow a mantra let me know, Happy New Year






No comments:

Post a Comment